Will run for ice cream! (and wine)

I really pushed myself at run practice yesterday for triathlon club. We ran around some trails behind the intramural fields at about a 7 min/mile pace for 45 minutes... about 6 miles. I definitely never run this fast on my own, so I was very proud of myself. It was a very challenging run, but I felt incredible afterwards! I love endorphins :)

After my runner, I needed some delicious refueling! Dinner went much better then the baking disaster on Monday! My roommate and I made salmon, gnocchi, and sauteed spinach! I got this idea from a recipe card at Publix. They always have really quick and easy meal ideas. I used my frozen wild salmon filets I found at Wal-mart last week. Yup, Wal-mart. Who would have thought? Wild salmon actually has a lot more omega-3 fatty acids than farm raised; they are also usually darker in color and more flavorful. It is normally way more expensive to buy wild salmon...but not at Wal-mart! I was super excited!

Dinner: Marinara Salmon and Gnocchi with Butter Sauce and Sauteed Spinach

  • First, we put a 16 oz. package of gnocchi into a shallow, microwave-safe dish with 1 cup garlic flavored chicken broth, 1 tbsp butter, and paprika. We sealed it with plastic wrap and nuked it for 10 minutes. The broth and butter turned into a nice and creamy butter sauce :)
  • While that was cooking, we seared salmon filets on both sides, then covered them with spaghetti sauce (we used Classico Cabernet Marinara) and simmered until they were cooked.
  • We also sauteed some spinach in olive oil. It is always good to eat your greens with some healthy fat because it helps you absorb more of its nutrients! I love sauteed spinach, but I get a little sad when a heap of fresh spinach turns into a little blob. It's so tasty, but it seems like so much more food before you cook it!
  • This whole process took less than 20 minutes. The finished plate:

We sprinkled a little mozzarella cheese on everything :)

The wine selection. I love pinot noir.

We don't normally drink wine for weekday dinners.... but we also don't normally cook together and sit down for dinner on weekday, so I considered it a special occasion! 

We had some cookie dough in the fridge left over from some awesome cookies we made over the weekend! The cookies were good, but the dough was even better! The dough had no eggs in it, so for dessert we made coffee cookie dough ice cream!!

Breyer's coffee ice cream with cookie dough and whipped cream!

I had two servings of this. What an indulgent dinner. Thank goodness I like to run! I will share the cookie dough recipe with you next time I post.... it has lots of crazy good stuff in it, including maple syrup!

And for all you coffee drinkers, I discovered an NY Times article today that says coffee is good for your mental health. Yay! Drink up!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice run :) I would do a lot of things for wine!

Delicious dinner, and yay for coffee, I love hearing good things!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous run! Okay - coffee ice cream is good but coffee choc. chip cookie dough ice cream?! DIVINE!!!

Erica said...

WOW! You (and a few other amazing bloggers) are my running heros! That is so fast. I am more of a jogger than a runner ;)

Dinner sounds awesome. I really love gnocchi! The dessert looks melt in your mouth good!

I always knew coffee must be good for me ;) I'll drink extra tomorrow haha.

Sara said...

Your dinner looks great, and your dessert looks even better!

lauren said...

nice workout. the dinner looks great and I am very excited to see the info about coffee since I am drinking a large one right now!

HEAB said...

Hooray for that NY times article! I love my morning cup 'o joe!

I also love Publix - their recipe cards are great! They just opened one right up the street from me last week, and I can't believe I haven't been yet.

Sounds like a great run...and a great dessert. I never thought to put my own cookie dough with ice-cream. Duh...brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Yum pinot nior!

Anonymous said...

that dinner sounds awesome! love pino nior! sounds like yuo had an amazing run :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I don't get it... your new posts haven't been showing up in my Google Reader, so look how many I've missed!!! :-( I'm so sorry - I hope you don't think I stopped reading your blog on purpose!!