Eat 'n Run

Last night, I found some almond milk at the store, which I have been dying to try since I read about it in so many people's blogs! I am not a fan of soy milk, but I love almonds, so I thought I would like almond milk better. The verdict? It tasted like a cross between soy milk and almonds...better than soy milk, but I still probably wouldn't drink it plain. I am looking forward to baking with it and maybe trying it in oatmeal.

As promised yesterday, I attempted to make some muffins this morning using black-eyed peas. I decided to try out my almond milk.... and since I was already substituting milk, I just decided I should make the whole recipe vegan! Using this recipe as a guideline here is the recipe I came up with:

Black-Eyed Blueberry Muffins
  • 3 cups black beans
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 3/4 cup slivered almonds
Blend beans and milk together in a food processor. Mix oil, sugar, applesauce, and vanilla together in a large bowl. Mix in bean mixture. Then mix in combined flours, spices, salt, and baking powder. Then stir in blueberries and almonds. 
This made 12 regular muffins and 20 mini muffins. At 375 degrees, regular muffins baked for 25 minutes, and mini muffin baked for 15 minutes.

Muffin with almond butter :)

These were interesting. A very dense muffin. I really liked the flavor, but the cake yesterday was better...speaking of which, I'm going to go have another piece!

After all that baking, I really really had to run. I felt a bit of withdrawal after not running for the past two days! My urge to run has nothing to do with will power to stay in shape or a desire to burn calories...sometimes I just crave running. Today I ended up doing 6 miles at about a 7 min/mile pace, which is faster than I usually run, but I had this incredible amount of energy (probably from cooking and eating ALL DAY yesterday), and I don't think I could slowed down if I wanted to. Afterwards I did a couple of 400 meter sprints, and then I finally felt satisfied. Found this quote that really expresses my compulsion to run: 

"There comes a time late in the afternoon when the light is just so and my circadian rhythms are at exactly a certain point, when the only solid thought in my mind is to run." Alison Townsend

Does anyone else experience this?

I think I'm finally tried of black-eyed peas now, so this is what I made for a quick lunch after my run:
Spinach topped with tomato, chicken salad, and avocado. Yum!

2 comments:

Hayley said...

Thanks for visiting my site, as it lead me to yours. I love all of your healthy creations, and everything looks so beautiful.

As for the running - I wish I had a craving to run, but sadly I do not feel the same way. I don't know what it is, but everytime I try to take up running, either my ankles or knees develop so much pain after a couple weeks, I can't even walk. I'll stick with the elliptical. Haha.

Anonymous said...

I recently tried almond milk too. I agree with you that I don't think I'd just drink it by itself. It's really good with Puffins :)