What a Weekend!

This cold weather is killing me. Yesterday I went for a run in under amour tights and 3 long sleeve shirts (it was about 35 degrees and sunny), and it was actually pretty nice expect that I couldn't find any gloves and my hands almost froze off! I can't wait for spring...


I made a delicious lunch with a Publix pre-made salad container that had baby greens, mushrooms, broccoli, green onions, tomatoes, and peppers. I put some of it in a wrap with sun dried tomato hummus (my new favorite flavor!), and the rest I had on the side with some Italian vinaigrette. I also topped the salad with some gouda cheese.

Mmmm....I figured out that the light in my bedroom is much better than the kitchen, so this pic was actually taken on my bed, haha.

Then I had a Kashi Oatmeal Raisin and Flax Cookie, which I heated up, sprinkled with cinnamon, and dipped in a glass of milk :)

Yum!

Since my roommate's good friend from Kennesaw was coming to visit for her birthday, I made some brownies for her! Our moms like to give us brownie mixes whenever we go home to bring back with us to Athens, so we have been accumulating brownie mixes (I think we had like 10 at one point...) and try to bake brownies for every special occasion. Of course, I can't just make a brownie mix without adding my own touch. I usually mix in cinnamon, and sometimes we layer dark chocolate bars in the middle so you get gooey melted chocolate in the middle of your brownie! Only for true chocoholics. We love the Ghiradeli brownie mixes, but this time I used a Trader Joe's Truffle Brownie Mix. It called for a whole stick of butter, but we only had half a stick, so I substituted applesauce and it turned out great! I sprinkled the top of the brownies with white chocolate chips and toffee pieces (left over from dipping pretzels on New Year's Eve)

Before going into the oven.

After it baked, the toffee pieces melted and the white chocolate were toasted golden! Perfect!

Candles for her "second annual 21st birthday," lol. It is weird that we are all starting to turn 22 now. I don't think I like it. Getting old is not fun anymore after 21.

A bite with almond butter and whipped cream!!!

Also, I feel like making brussels sprouts is kind of the cool thing to do in the blogging world, so I decided to try to make some with dinner! I just cut them in half, tossed them with extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt, and baked them at 425 for 15 minutes.

These were great!! I love roasted veggies!

Last night we went to a party that my friend was having called "Drinking for Diabetes." The party is in honor of her good friend who has diabetes. You pay $3 for a cup of hunch punch, $10 for endless keg beer, or $1 for a jello shot. And if you get a jello shot with a star under it, you get a free Diabetes Walk tee-shirt! All the profit they make goes to support juvenile diabetes research to help find a cure for type 1 diabetes. Last night they raised over $2,000!! It's a great party and a great cause!

This morning we went had Sunday brunch at one of our favorite restaurants called Last Resort. We started going almost every weekend last year, and we always go on special weekends, so of course we had to go for our friend's birthday! I can't believe I didn't bring my camera, but I will definitely bring it next time we go, which will be soon! My roommate and I spilt the Very Veggie Omelette that had zucchini, squash, artichokes, red onion, feta cheese, and a red pepper sauce on top. It came with fruit and roasted potatoes. And then we go their chocolate raspberry cheesecake!!!! Holy yum! I love how although it is weird to have dessert after breakfast, it is completely acceptable to have dessert with brunch!! Now I am full and happy, and I'm going to try to go get some work done. Hope you all had a good weekend!

7 comments:

Hayley said...

Those brownies look amazing. I'll have to try some of the mix-ins you mentioned. Thanks!

Reeni said...

Your brownies look so yummy! Just the thought of baking chocolate bars in the middle... Sounds like you had a great weekend with a lot of great food!

Sara said...

How is that brownie mix from Trader Joe's? I've never bought it before, but it sure sounds good the way you doctored it up!

Anonymous said...

wow those brownies look to die for!

Meghann said...

Drinking for diabetes? Interesting fund raising concept :)

Those brownies look great. In a couple of weeks I'll be celebrating my 3rd anniversary of turning 21... eekkkk

Tyler said...

Sara- the Trader Joe's mix made a very chocolaty and fudgy brownie. (just how I like them!) Highly recommended!! They would probably be delicious not doctored up, but I can't resist...

HEAB said...

Glad you had a good run, but freezing hands are the worst! I am so ready for spring as well. It will be here before we know it!

So many good eats, but I remember nothing after seeing that brownie bite with ALMOND BUTTER. Bet it was heavenly. :)