Life is Good

School is back in full swing now. The classes I'm taking this semester are: Medical Nutrition Therapy, Public Health Dietetics, Foodservice Management, and Dietetic Practice and Support. They all seem pretty interesting so far. The first chapter we are doing in Nutrition Therapy is sports nutrition (my favorite topic!).


Interesting fact I learned today: "Fat burns in the flame of carbohydrate," meaning that you cannot burn fat without glucose in the body. The end product of glycolysis (glucose metabolism) is required in the reaction that burns fat. That is what cause people to "hit the wall" during a marathons. Even if your body has plenty of fat stores, you can't use them after you run out of glucose (carbohydrate). 

Also, the first triathlon club practice of the season was last night! It was fun seeing everybody again. UGA Triathlon Club is a great group of kids to work out with. Mondays are swim nights, and it felt awesome to get a good swim workout in after not having access to a pool over winter break.

Last night's workout:
  • Warm-up: 300 meters
  • 4 x 50 kick
  • 2 x 100 pull
  • Main Set: 5 x 200 meters @ 70% effort
  • Cool Down: 3 x 100 meters (kick, pull, swim)
After practice, I had a Publix Carmel Creme non-fat yogurt for snack, which is now my new favorite flavor! Tastes like dulce de leche ice cream. Highly recommended :)

This morning when I was running out the door to class, I found a box of chocolates and a note outside of our door! Apparently, we have a secret admirer. Check it out:

Box of chocolate :)

The note: "To the Beautiful Ladies of 305- I hope these chocolates are as sweet as you!" Haha.

Yum!! These won't last long in our apartment. We love chocolate! And chocolate is definitely the way to a girl's heart. Nice job, mystery boy! 

I was starving by lunch today (despite a hearty oatmeal and cranberry breakfast), and I came up with a delicious wrap of warm black beans with cumin, steamed butternut squash, avocado, and spinach! (And salsa on the side.) It was a great combo. The picture had terrible lighting, so that's why I'm not posting it...sorry. But it was tasty! Really hit the spot :)

I went running with the triathlon club this afternoon. We ran trails for about 45 minutes. The pace was a little faster that I thought I wanted to go, but I kept up and felt great afterwards! 

Found this quote today that inspired me:

"Believe you can do it. Think no other way but 'Yes you can.' The human body is capable of considerably more endurance than most of us realize." Paul Reese

When I got home from running, I had a strange craving for red meat. I hardly ever eat red meat, so this is weird. We didn't have any at the apartment, and I didn't feel like going back out because it was cold, so I made this:

Chicken, red peppers, green beans, pasta, and mozzarella cheese. It was tasty, except that the pasta was extremely al dente (a.k.a. definitely not cooked all the way...) because I got hungry and impatient, lol.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh fun box of chocolates! :)
Aw Im missing school now!! Your classes sound fun!

Esi said...

You're one busy gal! That wrap sounds really delicious. I love butternut squash.

Erica said...

Your classes sound awesome! How sweet of the mystery boy(s)! Nice mix for dinner! Looks slightly creamy and very yummy! Hope you have a good Wednesday!!

Culinary Wannabe said...

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!! Hope you are off to a good start back at school. My lil brother and sister just started their classes as well so I've been hearing all about it. :) Good for you for joining a group that will keep you in shape and motivated! It's great to have those kinds of outlets while you are in school.