Salmon with Pineapple Salsa and Asparagus


My camera cord came in the mail today!!!! Now I can finally upload pictures again :)


One of my roommates and I went to Publix last night to get ingredients for dinner. Everday, Publix puts out recipe cards, and today they the recipe was Pineapple Salsa Salmon and Rice with Asparagus Tips! We immediately decided that this is what we had to make!!

First we made the pineapple salsa. We used:
  • 1 8 oz. can of pineapple chunks
  • 1 cup salsa (the fresh refrigerated kind is best)
  • 1 tbsp honey mustard
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp prepared horseradish (this gives it a huge kick!)

This is the salsa that we bought. It was so fresh and delicious!!

Then we pan seared the salmon fillets on each side:


Then added pineapple salsa, covered, and reduced heat.


I completely disregarded the recipe's instructions to cook the asparagus in the microwave with garlic butter and chose to do asparagus my favorite way: broiled in the oven with olive oil and kosher salt.

I burned my tongue multiple times eating these hot out of the oven. It was worth it :)

We also bought a Steamfresh frozen bag of brown rice. Heats up in the microwave in 4 1/2 minutes. Awesome!

Ta da!! The finished product. This was sooo delicious! And I think ours looks better than the picture on the recipe card :)

My roommate's boyfriend is trying to eat healthier, so I sent her over to his place with a portion of this dinner with a note about why everything that he was about to eat is healthy for him! This is what I wrote:
  • Salmon- good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your brain
  • Salsa- tomatoes have vitamin C and lycopene, which helps prevent cancers
  • Pineapple- Vitamin C
  • Brown rice- fiber to keep you full and have a healthy digestive system
  • Asparagus- fiber, protein, and lots of vitamins and minerals!
Most of these were off the top of my head, but I looked up asparagus because I didn't know exactly what vitamins were in it. It's a good source of pretty much all vitamins, but I was surprised to find that asparagus also has a significant amount of protein! Did anybody else know this???

For fun, I just looked up pineapple and found out that from this site that it also has micronutrients and chemicals that break up blood clots, stimulate the kidneys to help with removing toxins, and reduce inflammation. So I think I will start eating more pineapple!

For a healthy dessert, I also made my roomie take over some berries, whipped cream, and cinnamon. The reviews?? Her boyfriend loved it!!! He also said it was the best asparagus he'd ever had. I also got a marriage proposal from his roommate!

At Publix, they also had one of the best ice creams in the world in stock: Chocolate Trinity ice cream!! We discovered this ice cream last year, but recently Publix has been advertising this flavor, so we stopped seeing it in stock! But they had it last night, so this is what I had for dessert! And my other roommate (I live with 4 people, this might get confusing...) got home from work and enjoyed some as well.

 This is a face of pure bliss. Her teeth are normally pearly white, but they are covered in delicious chocolate :)

More thoughts on the ice cream issue...A couple posts back, I talked about this fat free ice cream that I tried, but I was uncomfortable with the fact that most of the ingredients did not resemble real foods. Most commenters seemed to agree that small portions of real ice cream is the best, which is of course the correct answer, but the problem is that eating small portions of ice cream is nearly impossible for me. Serving size is 1/2 cup...that is tiny! I've measured it before. It's not enough. I went back and ate out of the carton (this always tastes so much better than from a bowl for some reason...) I am very good at portion control with most foods, but I like to eat a lot of ice cream. On average, I would say I eat about 1 1/2 cups of ice cream in one sitting. Fat-free ice cream has 100 calories in a serving, and Chocolate Trinity has 200 calories in a serving, so my serving of fat-free would be 300 calories while my serving of the good stuff would be 600 calories!! This is usually more calories than I consume at dinner. I don't have a huge appetite, but I can put away some ice cream! Solution: I really shouldn't eat ice cream everyday...I need a support group, lol

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know asparagus had a good amount of protein, that's awesome! I should definitely start eating it more often ;)

Ice cream is a danger zone for me for SURE. It definitely tastes better straight from the container, especially when it's a really delicious CHOCOLATEY flavour. Mmmm. I haven't had some good chocolate ice cream in ages. I think I might have to get some for a treat. I also think I would probably be best off buying one of the SMALL containers.. hah.

Sara said...

This looks great, I also love broiled asparagus!

Hayley said...

I'll have to make that salmon dinner for my Dad, I know he would just love it. And I totally agree with the serving size of ice cream. I don't know anyone who can stop at 1/2 a cup.