Cookies and Local Food

As promised, here is the recipe from the cookie dough I was eating last night (they are delicious cooked also!).  I was inspired by this recipe: Maple-Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I added my own touches to it. Here is my version:

Crazy Maple Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 3/4 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 rolled oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup real maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup 60% caoco chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup pecan
  • 1/4 cup toffee pieces
  • handful of unsweetened coconut (didn't measure, sorry)
I just mixed everything together and baked for 10 minutes at 350.

Great warm and dunked in a glass of milk! This is the only batch that actually got cooked. We just ate the rest of the dough raw, haha.

Now onto some exciting purchases I made today!

Earlier in the week, I ordered some items from athens.locallygrown.net where you can order fresh produce from local farmers!! I ordered some fresh eggs, rosemary, and Jerusalem artichokes. Pick up time was this afternoon. Check out what I got:

The eggs came in this cute, hand packed carton.

I was so excited that the eggs were multicolored! Looks like Easter!

The rest of the loot :)

Jerusalem artichokes are something I had never even heard of before, so of course I had to buy some! They look like little ginger roots. And the rosemary smells amazing! It was a very aromatic drive home!

Excited to try my new food, I immediately cut up some of the Jerusalem artichokes, tossed them with salt and olive oil, and threw them in the oven. This is my default way to cook veggies. 

Then I cracked open an egg right on to the pan, cooked it, and then ate it with some rosemary sprinkled on top! Wow. What a taste! If you get the opportunity to buy some fresh eggs, do it! I'm really going to enjoy these.

When my Jerusalem artichokes were cooked, I had no idea what they were supposed to taste like. I popped one in my mouth, and it actually tasted exactly like an artichoke! I think I prefer them to normal artichokes because they have a nice crunch, and they are much more efficient to eat since you don't have to scrape the good stuff off of a leaf!

Jerusalem artichokes. Don't look too pretty in the picture, but they were delicious!


Has anyone else try any new and exciting foods lately?

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

FAAAABULOUS cookies!!

Love those artichokes too :-)


Happy Friday!!

Anonymous said...

Nice purchases :) Love the cookies!

I'm in a food rut! WAIT - Caroline (broccolihut.blogspot) introduced me to a lentil dip that is FANTASTIC :D

Sara said...

I love jerusalem artichokes - besides roasting, they're good sauteed or pureed into soups and mashed potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Oh my - those cookies look incredible! Toffee, maple syrup, pecans, chocolate, cinnamon! YUM.

Reeni said...

I love the cookies and eating them raw is the best!! I knew you would love the fresh eggs, there's no comparing them to supermarket eggs. I tried Kale the other day and loved it!

Anonymous said...

wow, what a haul of local food! i'm planning to join a csa this spring and can't wait. i hope i get colorful eggs in the batch! and those cookies look deeeelicious