Savory Oats with Spinach and Gouda

Its a warm and beautiful day in Athens, GA! I stocked up on oatmeal supplies over the weekend, but when I woke up to 70 degree weather, cereal sounded more appealing than a warm bowl of oats. So I made this:


Kashi Go Lean with fresh strawberries 

My cereal bowl tasted wonderful, but by the time I got out of class, I was craving oatmeal! However, I also wanted some veggies. I found a delicious solution to these conflicting cravings: spinach and gouda oatmeal with sauteed green beans!

I am very proud of this creation! It turned out even better than I expected!

Spinach and Gouda Oats:
  • Cook 1/3 cup oats with 2/3 cup water
  • Mix in shredded gouda and fresh baby spinach while warm
  • Let cool and enjoy!
I sauteed my green beans in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and I also added some black beans after I took the picture. So good!

I wonder what other mix-ins would make some good savory oats....pesto? Parmesan and black pepper? What if you cooked them with chicken broth then added a bunch of veggies?? Endless possibilities! I can't wait to do more experiments :)

What are the most creative oats you have ever made?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about making savory oats just to switch up my starch at dinnertime. That cheesy spinach combo sounds amazingg!! :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Beautiful day here too (for once, finally) - hooray!!

Lovely oats!!

Anonymous said...

Spinach gouda oatmeal?! That is genius!!

Unknown said...

thanks for visiting my blog, it seems we have alot in common :) those oats sound fantastic!!

Anonymous said...

Uhh gouda is my favorite cheese ever, I can't imagine that oat combo! So smart. I had that same cereal today too! Thanks for stopping by my new blog :) I'm lovin yours

Reeni said...

I love gouda... and spinach!! What a great idea. I like applesauce, cinnamon and dried cranberries in my oats.

Sara said...

Never had savory oatmeal, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. It's time for me to give it a try!

HEAB said...

I love savory oats...and your recipe sounds perfect. Hmm, my most creative oats. I made a big bowl of blueberry cobbler oats not too long ago...pretty tasty! Enjoy the warm weather!