Savory Oats with Spinach and Gouda

Its a warm and beautiful day in Athens, GA! I stocked up on oatmeal supplies over the weekend, but when I woke up to 70 degree weather, cereal sounded more appealing than a warm bowl of oats. So I made this:

Kashi Go Lean with fresh strawberries 

My cereal bowl tasted wonderful, but by the time I got out of class, I was craving oatmeal! However, I also wanted some veggies. I found a delicious solution to these conflicting cravings: spinach and gouda oatmeal with sauteed green beans!

I am very proud of this creation! It turned out even better than I expected!

Spinach and Gouda Oats:
  • Cook 1/3 cup oats with 2/3 cup water
  • Mix in shredded gouda and fresh baby spinach while warm
  • Let cool and enjoy!
I sauteed my green beans in olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and I also added some black beans after I took the picture. So good!

I wonder what other mix-ins would make some good savory oats....pesto? Parmesan and black pepper? What if you cooked them with chicken broth then added a bunch of veggies?? Endless possibilities! I can't wait to do more experiments :)

What are the most creative oats you have ever made?


jenngirl said...

I've been thinking about making savory oats just to switch up my starch at dinnertime. That cheesy spinach combo sounds amazingg!! :)

VeggieGirl said...

Beautiful day here too (for once, finally) - hooray!!

Lovely oats!!

ksgoodeats said...

Spinach gouda oatmeal?! That is genius!!

ttfn300 said...

thanks for visiting my blog, it seems we have alot in common :) those oats sound fantastic!!

snackface said...

Uhh gouda is my favorite cheese ever, I can't imagine that oat combo! So smart. I had that same cereal today too! Thanks for stopping by my new blog :) I'm lovin yours

Reeni♥ said...

I love gouda... and spinach!! What a great idea. I like applesauce, cinnamon and dried cranberries in my oats.

Sara said...

Never had savory oatmeal, but I've been hearing a lot about it lately. It's time for me to give it a try!

Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) said...

I love savory oats...and your recipe sounds perfect. Hmm, my most creative oats. I made a big bowl of blueberry cobbler oats not too long ago...pretty tasty! Enjoy the warm weather!