Celebrate

I waited to add a description to my blog because I actually wasn't quite sure what it was about when I made my first post. But I have since been considering why I am writing this blog. I plan on posting some recipes and sharing nutrition advice I think is interesting and relevant, but I decided the main reason I am writing this blog is to share my excitement about all the food I eat. I don't completely agree with the saying that you should eat to live rather than live to eat. Of course food is very important to give our bodies vital nourishment and energy (this is what I study everyday as a dietetics major), but it is also so much more. It is ingrained in our cultures and traditions. It can be a source of comfort. It can be an art form. And unfortunately, it can also be a source of anxiety and guilt with all the conflicting messages we are bombarded with on what we are supposed to eat.  Since I study and read about nutrition all the time, it is often hard not to become obsessed with it, so through this blog I want celebrate all good food (from fruits and veggies to chocolate cake) and fitness.  


To me, "good food" means real food that is delicious. It doesn't come from a drive through window, but it doesn't necessarily have to be gourmet cooking either (who has time for that everyday?).  The pleasures I get from good food are similar to how a good work out makes me feel, so it made sense to me to include fitness as something to be celebrated.

So in the spirit of celebration I would like to share with you the delicious lunch I had yesterday:

Whole wheat toast with avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and hummus.

Granny smith apple slices sprinkled with cinnamon and a spoonful of chunky almond butter.

Now off to buy some champagne. Happy New Year's Eve everyone!

3 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love your blog mission/purpose!! And your eats, of course :-)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i completely agree w/ your food philosophy 100%!

happy new year :)

Reeni said...

Happy New Year! I look forward to hearing more from you.